Wednesday, October 19, 2011

January 6, 2011

The girlfriend tells my daughter her grandparents won’t let her in the place so she’ll have to ask them.  My daughter calls the grandmother and she says she’ll have to think about it and get back to her.  She sends my daughter a message on facebook telling her she will only work with me on this not anyone else:

"[to Alex's sister], with all due respect, and after giving it much thought I have decided to make my communications through Kevin." 

The grandmother also sent me a message on facebook:

"I am sure you know that [your daughter] contacted me today. I did leave her a message telling her that all of my contacts will be through you and you alone.

With all due respect we are not allowing anyone into that property other than you as Alex's father. I totally understand that you need some closure, however with all due repect to [her granddaughter], that townhouse is her's and her's alone as the only name on the rental agreement.

Everything will be available to you as of Saturday morning. The insurance adjuster and the contractor are coming at 3:00 P.M. on Friday.

I am a regular user of facebook so please feel free to contact me here or on my phone.
(XXX) XXX-XXXX"

I don’t understand what the hell is going on?  My son paid rent to them to live there and now they do not want to allow us in to get Alex’s things?  Have they no compassion?  I decide to go to the Woodbury police and ask for help.  I talk with an Officer about the situation.  He is aware of the investigation and will facilitate getting Alex’s things. 

He calls the girlfriend and she starts ranting about how she’s not allowed in the property and he’ll have to talk to her grandparents since they are the property owners.  He hangs up and comments that "she’s a piece of work."  He calls the grandmother and there is no answer.  A few minutes later he gets a message to call her at another number.  He says not to say anything so the grandmother doesn’t know we are there.  He explains the situation and gets the grandmother to agree to allow me to pick things up on Saturday, January 8th at .  They will only allow me into the garage where they will put everything.  He hangs up and makes a comment about the grandmother having a "god complex."  I explain to the officer that I cannot do this all by myself and will need help from my family.  I also asked how will I know I have everything if they don’t allow me into the home to verify this?  He understands and will see what he can do but as property owners they do not have to allow us in the home.  So now we are set for Saturday.   I call the neighbor's and ask for their help with their trailer but they have to use their Tahoe because I don’t have a hitch.  They are more than happy to help.

My stomach is in knots the rest of the day.  I cannot fathom that this is really happening.  By law I am now the owner of all of Alex’s things and yet they don’t have to let me in to get them.  This makes no sense!!  I try to get my mind off of this by writing some thank you cards.

I have a very hard time eating.  I can only think, my son has not eaten for six days, why am I eating and I begin to cry.   I’m exhausted so I go to bed early and just lay there . . . I cannot sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment