Wednesday, October 19, 2011

January 5, 2011

Wednesday . . . no sleep but maybe an hour or two. 

It’s time to get his personal affects from the Medical Examiners.  I called and made the appointment for .

Jeff drove me.  I walked in feeling shaky and nauseous.  They would not give me his clothes as they are blood stained and felt it would be too traumatic.  I just got what was in his pockets and any jewelry he was wearing.  Those things too are somewhat blood stained. 

I called Alex's mother to let her know I have picked up his things.  I hugged the envelopes as we drove home.  It’s weird - holding onto some things that were the last things close to his body as he took his last breath of life.  My poor dear child . . . gone from earth so young.  My future with him in it and all it contained are no longer possible.  A part of me and my life are now missing forever.  

When I got home I opened the envelopes to see what was in them.  His wallet and all the papers it contained, blood stained.  His knife, keys, license, his mother's credit card which he used to buy a leather Harley coat and never paid her back for, receipts, etc.  His ear gages also in the envelope . . . it would have been nice to have had them before his wake and funeral.  Seeing those bloodied items was very heart-wrenching knowing it was my son’s life drained from his body. 

I could look no more so I put it all away.

The kids all came over in the afternoon.  I now had to somehow get my son’s belongings home to go through it all.  I need to do this to have closure.  I don’t know how I can do this all by myself so my daughter offers to contact the girlfriend and her family to set up a time to do it.  One less thing for me to think about for which I’m very thankful.

The rest of the day was fairly quiet.  I just needed to get addresses and go through all the cards and start writing thank you notes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment